Friday, September 26, 2008

Meaningful Feedback

With 25, 30, even 35 students in some public school classrooms, how can teachers provide meaningful feedback to students? Meaningful feedback provides students with tips for improvement, goal-setting, strengths/weakness evaluations, and or other strategies that go far beyond a simple "A" or "B" on a paper. As I've written before, I don't believe reliance on standard grading practices are effective or philosophically sound with regards to motivation and feedback.

I've been working on a template for students to keep track of their learning in my 8th grade language arts class. My model is attempting to combine quantitative and qualitative feedback, in addition to student reflection. Please be in touch if you'd like to see this template, or care to share your own strategies in moving away from traditional grading.

Academics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

1 Comments:

At October 12, 2008 at 10:28 PM , Blogger Kristie said...

I completely agree with you, Paul, and I appreciate your efforts for a template. I find that my class website and blog help me to provide meaningful feedback on my own schedule, even at midnight, after the daily nap :) No, we don't all want to spend such time outside of our "work" days, but this works for me. I also use google docs as a way to view writing online and give feedback. The exchange I am supposed to be working on with Brandon Abdon right now will also allow students from his classroom to help give meaningful feedback to mine. Check out the website if you get a minute: http://misshofelich.edublogs.org/
Also, this might be a useful link for your website.
I look forward to reading more of your posts, and hopefully working with you. Take care!
~Kristie Hofelich

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home