Friday, July 18, 2008

Overlooked Research and Theory

I remember speaking up at a faculty meeting and proclaiming that I don't give zeroes as grades. I believe they skew data too much. After all, what is the point of grades and grading? I thought a few coworkers wanted to bite my head off when I shared this bit of knowledge. I had challenged my own beliefs, done some reading, and come to a conclusion. Apparently this type of critical self-reflection and research is much more rare than it should be.

I'm afraid Teaching could be plagued by anti-intellectualism and a dearth of critical thinking. Why do I say this? After all, there is a massive amount of pedagogy research, teaching and learning theory, human development theory--among other sources of useful knowledge out there--but much of it remains untapped or ignored when the rubber hits the road.

I, too, ignored the possibility of actively applying theory the first few years in the classroom. Young teachers are overwhelmed enough as it is, trying to establish themselves and their classrooms without worrying about constructivism, behaviorism and multiple intelligences. But as soon as I started thinking about why I teach, how I teach, and how what I do relates to established theory, my own teaching took off.

Decades of efforts at education reform haven't seemed to accomplish much. How about principals and administrators refocusing efforts on teaching and learning theory and applications? If I were a principal, I'd require my teachers to outline their teaching practices and beliefs as they relate to established theory. It's a start, at least. Too many things that we do continue because it's the way it always has been. I can't think of a more pathetic stance if we truly want to do what's best for kids.

With all the social science available to aid our teaching and learning, however, I still believe teaching is more art than science, more about relationships than data, and more about engagement and effort than grades.


Academics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home