Sunday, January 25, 2009

Questioning Overzealous Math Requirements

Sitting in a coffee shop on Sunday morning, the following crossed my mind: for most adults, how important is math, beyond Algebra, for real-world success? (I'm discounting those career paths which are obviously linked with high-level math studies, like computer programming, engineering, physics, etc.)

For me, a fairly competent guy, I never use advanced math. I remember no skills or applications from my days plodding through Algebra II or Pre-Calculus. I was able to renovate an old house using basic math facts and functions.

This line of thinking makes me question all initiatives that require all 8th grade students to take Algebra, or that you must have four years of math under your belt to graduate high school. For those students inclined to study advanced math, great, encourage them to go as far as possible!
Forcing American students to take years upon years of math classes, with hopes that this will translate into a more competitive American workforce, doesn't make much sense to me. Intrinsic motivation is, as usual, an overlooked factor in this equation.

Academics Blogs - Blog Top Sites

4 Comments:

At February 2, 2009 at 3:00 PM , Blogger qualityg says said...

I agree 100 percent. The state of Michigan where I live has no idea what they are doing to our students.

 
At February 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM , Blogger Liza Sánchez said...

I just have to add that learning math comes in great use when staying up all night helping your high school child learn math. So you see, there really is a good use for all those years of trig and calculus.
Liza
http://bilingualtalk.blogspot.com

 
At February 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Davidz said...

Gotta jump in and say that I agree with your observations but disagree strongly with your conclusions.

I agree that many people don't ever use Algebra 2 or Calculus. However, I definitely disagree that expecting kids to study and learn the stuff is a waste of time. Considering how many career changes I've had since I became an adult, I would hate for a teenager to either decide or have decided for them that they would never need higher math. The teens are too early to start limiting someones future just because they "don't enjoy" math.

Next, I'll bet that the reason we all get Algebra so well, is that we were forced to exercise those skills in higher math. Practice makes perfect and you practice basic skills in each succeeding level of math you take.

So, bring on those aggressive math requirements. There's nothing wrong with asking high-schoolers to take hard classes. People will generally achieve to the level of expectations. If we expect nothing, we'll get nothing.

david@bellevueschooldistrictparent.com

 
At February 19, 2009 at 3:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just posted some comments about Washington rewriting our state NCLB mandated graduation test. This type of discussion is just what we (WA residents) are facing. After years of the illconceived and poorly executed WASL, everyone has an opinion and there is little consensus.
The article is Replacing the WASL at www.bellevueschooldistrictparent.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home